White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats are thick and chewy Rice Krispie treats stuffed with marshmallows, pretzels, white chocolate and candy cane pieces. These simple Rice Krispie Treats are the ideal holiday treat!
This recipe for White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats is ideal for the holidays. They’re simple to make, which is great because the holiday season is always hectic. They’re also very festive and entertaining!
For the Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows plus 2 cups divided
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 8 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups chopped pretzels
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 2 smashed candy canes
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon oil • 1/4 cup chopped pretzels
- 1 crushed candy cane
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling on top
How to Create
Here are a few pointers to help you make perfect Rice Krispie Treats every time!
- I recommend using a 9-inch baking pan for SUPER thick treats, but you can use a 9-inch baking pan for thinner treats.
- Spray nonstick cooking spray on your pan. You can also line the pan with parchment paper to make it easier to remove them.
- Before you begin, measure out all of your ingredients. Once you begin, the process moves quickly, so be prepared! You’ll need a 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows plus two cups, so buy two bags.
- You can cut up the pretzels with a sharp knife, whether you use stick pretzels or regular pretzels. Place the candy canes in a Ziploc bag and pound them with a rolling pin to crush them. The kids enjoy assisting with this step!
- Melt 16 oz of the marshmallows with the butter, reserving the remaining two cups for later.
- Because peppermint extract is strong, I only use 14 teaspoons. I think 14 teaspoons of peppermint is just right with the candy cane pieces.
- Toss in the cereal and pretzels until evenly coated, then add the remaining marshmallows, white chocolate chips and candy cane pieces. It’s okay if the white chocolate melts into the treats!
- Using a greased spatula, lightly press the mixture into the pan. You can also use lightly oiled hands to press the mixture into the pan.
- I decorate the treats with extra white chocolate, pretzels and candy canes to make them look extra festive.
In a small bowl, combine white chocolate chips and a small amount of oil for the topping. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. If you overheat the chocolate, it will seize.
- Drizzle the white chocolate over the Rice Krispie Treats to finish. Top with crushed candy cane chopped pretzels and flaky sea salt. YUM!
- Allow about an hour for the Rice Krispie Treats to set before cutting with a sharp knife.
These bars can be stored in an airtight container (or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap in the pan) for up to three days. I don’t recommend storing the treats in the refrigerator because they will dry out and become hard, which no one wants! RKTs that are chewy, gooey, and marshmallowy are the ONLY way to go!
386kcal, 67g carbohydrate, 4g protein, 12g fat, 7g saturated fat, 19mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 86mg potassium, 1g fibre, 35g sugar, 175IU vitamin A, 44mg calcium, 1mg iron