Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars are soft and moist, made with brown butter and lots of chocolate chips. These bars are the ideal summer dessert and a fantastic way to use up your garden courgette!
One of my superpowers is the ability to transform courgette into delectable desserts. You know it’s true if you’ve tried my chocolate zucchini cake, zucchini brownies or zucchini cookies. I have a talent for making green vegetables taste decadent and delicious.
These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars are my most recent and possibly best zucchini dessert. I made them for a cookout last week, and our guests raved about them. By the end of the night, the pan was empty, and even the kids gave them two thumbs up. They were completely unaware that they were eating vegetables for dessert!
If you enjoy my pumpkin chocolate chip bars or banana chocolate chip bars, I think you’ll enjoy the zucchini version as well!
Ingredients for Zucchini Bar
Browning the butter brings out the BEST flavour. I assure you that the extra step is worthwhile.
- Flour- I use regular all-purpose flour, but if you want gluten-free bars, use gluten-free flour. Cup4Cup is a game that I enjoy.
- Baking powder- check to see if your baking powder is fresh!
- Ground cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are the spices! The ideal trio!
- This is my preferred sea salt to use.
- I use both brown sugar and granulated sugar.
- One large egg and one egg yolk are required. The extra egg yolk adds chewiness to the bars.
- Vanilla extract is an absolute must!
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini is required. Use a box grater or food processor to grate the zucchini. Squeeze the shredded zucchini, but don’t squeeze out all of the liquid. You want some liquid in the zucchini to keep the bars moist.
- Chocolate chips- I prefer semi-sweet chocolate chips, but milk or dark chocolate chips can also be used.
Recipe for chocolate chip zucchini bars
I like these zucchini bars because they are simple to make and make a 913-inch pan, which is ideal for sharing! These bars are perfect for cookouts, potlucks, picnics, and parties! They’re the ideal bar for sharing!
They also assist me in utilizing some of our garden courgette during the summer months!
Let’s start baking!
- Brown the butter first. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it foams, smells nutty, and browns. This should take 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour the browned butter into a large mixing bowl. Allow to cool while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger in a medium mixing bowl. Place aside.
- Whisk the sugars with the cooled brown butter in a large mixing bowl until smooth. Combine the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Incorporate the shredded zucchini. This is where the magic takes place! The zucchini will keep the batter moist!
- Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined; do not overmix. 1 cup chocolate chips should be folded in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips. I like to top it with a few extra chocolate chips because you can never have too much chocolate!
- Bake for 25 to 32 minutes, or until the bars are set and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Cut into squares and serve.
Calories: 256kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 44mg, Sodium: 134mg, Potassium: 83mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 20g, Vitamin A: 352IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 48mg, Iron: 1mg